With San Diego’s latest generation of solar panel technology, it’s easy to reduce your solar energy bill by 50% or more. Our knowledgeable team can answer your questions on how much does solar cost and how quickly your solar investment will pay off. Get started by booking your free estimate today.
How Solar Prices are Calculated
There are two ways to analyze San Diego solar energy costs. The first method is to evaluate the price per kilowatt prior to installation. Price per kilowatt is a useful metric for calculating the costs of your solar energy system based on how many kilowatts of energy you’ll need to generate to meet your needs. The second method is to analyze the levelized cost of energy over time, LCOE. LCOE can illustrate the total costs of your solar energy system over one to two decades. Since solar energy panels can last up to 30 years, a 20-30 year analysis is typical. At Christian Solar, we utilize these and others to determine how much your San Diego solar installation will cost. Our team will take into account the below metrics and calculations before providing an estimate:
- Total kilowatts currently used
- Additional kilowatts needed to power new appliances over the years
- Size of solar panel system required to support energy use
- Cost of installation
- Return on investment over a five, ten, and twenty year period
- Local or state tax credits and solar rebate offers
Once we establish the size of the solar energy panel system required for your property, we will calculate the price per watt, as well as the total costs of materials and installation fees. For more details on how much solar costs for our San Diego clients, contact our team and set up a free estimate.
Tax Credit & Financing Options
When determining how much solar costs, it’s important to factor in San Diego tax credits and available financing options. At Christian Solar we believe that every household and business should have access to reliable solar energy. To make this possible, we work with a range of financing firms that can support our clients. In addition, our in-house team of project managers can provide information on state and local San Diego tax credits or rebates that may be available for your installation. We provide solar financing options for both residential and commercial clients. When calculating the full costs of a solar energy installation in San Diego, it’s important to consider:
- Total size of the system
- Available tax credits for solar energy in San Diego County
- Cost per kilowatt after installation costs are paid off
- Financing options that can reduce installation costs
If you’re ready to learn more about San Diego solar energy options, book a free estimate with our team today.
Levelized Cost of Energy Over Time
Your San Diego solar energy installation may have a substantial initial cost covering material and labor fees. However, it’s important to consider how this cost will diminish over time once the initial investment is complete. The levelized cost of energy can be viewed as cents per kilowatt-hour (or ¢/kWh). This number is calculated by dividing the total costs of your solar energy system by the total amount of energy the system will provide over a number of years. We often recommend a ten to twenty year period when calculating LCOE. To determine the levelized cost of energy over time, our team will explore:
- Total upfront costs of materials and installation
- Total amount of power that can be generated on a daily basis with respect to the size and location of your solar panels
- Your average annual energy usage
- The average efficiency of your solar energy system (based on shade, angle of panels, battery efficiency, inverter efficiency and more).
How Much Does Solar Save Over Time?
Many of our San Diego clients report a 50% or greater reduction in their energy bills after installing a solar energy panel system. The initial investment in solar can be large, however the ongoing savings will provide a return on investment in as little as a few years. How quickly you see results depends on:
- The efficiency and size of your solar energy system
- How much energy your property uses on a monthly and annual basis
- Your local electricity rates
- How you utilize your energy on a daily basis
- Storage capacity and efficiency of your solar energy batteries
During your free estimate our team will note your current annual property energy bill, as well as your annual kilowatt-hours. We will then factor in the rising costs of energy utility bills over the years (inflation is usually less than 5% per year). In addition, we will include a standard rate to account for any efficiency losses as your solar panels age; luckily today’s technology remains viable for up to 30 years. Your overall calculation might include:
- System size in kilowatts
- Electricity demand in kilowatt-hours per year
- Current electricity rates per kilowatt-hour
- Electricity rate inflation: >5%/year
- Percentage of your energy usage that will be met by solar panels (depends on size of system and energy use)
- Upfront cost of solar panel installation with reductions for tax credits or rebates
These factors will produce a range of expected savings over the years. Estimates may look different for single-family homes vs. large commercial developments, as well as for properties that require large scale air-conditioning or other energy-intensive appliances. We work with both commercial and residential clients across San Diego and can recommend the right solar energy system for your unique needs. The best way to calculate exactly how much solar will save you over time is to book a free estimate with our San Diego team.
How Solar Energy Panels Will Affect Your Energy Bill
If your property is connected to San Diego’s energy grid, you will still receive an energy bill after installing solar. All grid-connected buildings will remain attached to the local utility system due to San Diego net metering policies. Net metering means that your unused solar energy will be sent back into the local grid. The energy company will measure your contribution then issue a credit to your energy bill. This allows you to draw energy from the grid as needed (often at night), but offset those costs by generating solar energy during the day. Your monthly bill will show the amount you have consumed, as well as the amount of solar energy you have provided to the system. You can read more about net metering options in San Diego County online or contact our team for comprehensive information about this program.
Choosing the Best Solar Energy Technology for Your Property
Christian Solar partners with the best companies in the solar energy industry. We offer deep cycle batteries, high-efficiency photovoltaic paneling, and customized mounting solutions to deliver the most energy-efficient systems. Our San Diego team is committed to providing the latest advances in energy technology to both residential and commercial properties. When planning your solar energy installation we will factor in your property size, energy generation needs, aesthetic requirements, and budget. Recent updates to solar technology mean that there are more choices than ever to suit your needs. Christian Solar offers the best in solar technology, including:
- High-efficiency and long-lifespan photovoltaic technology
- Advanced installation, wiring, and placement techniques
- High efficiency mounting solutions
- Deep cycle batteries for extended energy storage
- Scalable solutions for large commercial solar projects
Get started by booking a consultation with our team here.
About Christian Solar
Christian Solar is a locally-owned solar company in San Diego, California. We are a licensed solar installer with over 25 years of experience. Our mission is to help you save money and help save the planet. We offer solar energy solutions for residential and commercial clients throughout San Diego and beyond. Our reputation is built on quality, customer service, and superior craftsmanship. Read more about our services or contact our team to learn more about our advanced solar energy solutions.